TakeTEN : Marriage Theme Songs

Sunday, August 30, 2015 0 Comments A+ a-

“Song of the rings” *My Precious!

Especially those with a knack of rushing, hurrying and planning their unseen, uncertain future; I ask you to settle down and listen to the songs that you often hear to. Who knows, you might just hit the realization that some songs - CORRECTION - all songs actually make sense.

That’s the beauty of music and the power of words. We have heard them say, there is a song for every emotion turbulent inside you and every situation you get yourself cornered in. (I totally made that up right now, but you did relate to it, didn't you?) All you need to do is listen often, with open ears, more open heart and the most open mind. 
And hey, no judgments on the songs mentioned, okay? (Wink)

Chances are that you are either at a point, will get to a point or successfully past a point where you assume All your friends are growing old, doing what they’re told while you are caught up in the magic, music and fun. Seriously now, stop over listening to Skyhooks’ ‘All my friends are getting married' because you know, I know, we all know that the fun and magic doubles when you find the one whose ring finger will scream at you to Put a ring on it (Single Ladies, Beyonce).

Let me quote Frank Sinatra for instance, Love and Marriage go together like a horse and carriage. You can’t have one without the other (Love and Marriage, Sinatra) ‘And No, No one is too young to get married. What kind of difference can a few years make?’ sang Bob B. Soxx and The Blue Jeans.

So there, I broke the ice, the songs being referred to, all say marriage or wedding. 

Are you still interested in this post? Or are you just being polite? Are you bored perhaps? 

Don't be. As a refreshment, allow me to take you back to a scene from Frozen (I didn't watch Frozen, my sister did). Let it go...Let it go... No I am not singing it. Okay, so in that movie when Elsa says to Anna, “You can’t marry a man you just met.” I remembered Darlene Love’s 1963 hit, Today I met the boy I'm gonna marry. RIP!

I have always believed that great lyrics and great songs share few common themes: the isolation before or after love, the buoyancy of being in love, the certainty of spending life with the chosen one and most of the times, the heartbreak, the betrayal and the tragedy. But like I mentioned earlier, the theme we are sticking to here is marriage/wedding, yes out of all. 


Fasten your belts of single hood (if married, loosen the belt a little) and learn by heart some of the most romantic lines from the Ten handpicked ‘marriage’ songs for the one with whom you want to make a sandwich together as your midnight snack.


1.     Tell me who I’ll marry, Judy Collins, 1962

Tell me who I'll marry, Tell me who he'll be

While the vistuly is flowing, By the green oak tree



2.     Marry me a little, Barry Manilow, 1975

Marry me a little. Body, heart, and soul.
Passionate as hell. But always in control


3.     Will you Marry me, Paula Abdul, 1992
Just girl to boy, I’d like to share this thought with you
Our love is a joy, two ones have made inseparable two.
So now I’ve finally got the courage
Just ask you baby, Will you marry me, boy?

4.     When I said I do, Clint Black, 1999
When I said I do, I meant that’s I will till the end of time
Be faithful and true, devoted to you.

5.     Let’s Get Married, Jagged Edge, 2000
Meet me in the altar in your white dress
We ain’t getting no younger, we might as well do it
Been feeling all the while girl, I must confess
Girl, Let’s just get married.

6.     Marry Me, St. Vincent, 2007
I want to marry you, So marry me, John
Marry me, John I’ll be so good to you.

7.     Marry Me, Train, 2010
Forever can never be long enough for me, to feel like I've had long enough with you.
Marry me. Today and every day. Say you will. Say you will.

8.     Marry You, Bruno Mars, 2011
Is it the look in your eyes, or is it this dancing juice?
Who cares baby, I think I wanna marry you.

9.     Marry Me, Jason Derulo, 2013
A hundred and five is the number that comes to my head
When I think of all the years I wanna be with you
I swear that I will mean it. I’ll say, “Will you marry me?”
And of course, our favorite Nepali proposal song.
10.                       Will you Marry me, Anil Singh
It’s a sight of mind that’s all, First and last I’d like to propose.
Oh girl, my love, Will you marry me? (You are probably singing this in your head.)
Bonus tip: If your girlfriend’s dad is a bit uptight and you want to marry that girl, marry her anyway, sing Rude by Magic, 2014, to him.  Marriage is a family affair after all.



(Published: ESSENCE Magazine, Year 4, Vol. 02, February 2015, RHYTHM N BEATS.)