Shedding some light on BLACK-OUT POETRY

Thursday, August 31, 2017 0 Comments A+ a-

Maybe or If you are like me, you see different ensembles of words already used once. 
And at times, you fascinate yourself when you find poetry in prose. 
Expressions, utterances, phrases, promises, tidings. Let’s talk how and when I find soul in words.
This is the sole motto of this post - enabling our eyes to see what’s not visible.

Author Austin Kleon, who is also a cartoonist, who is also a designer and who also seems like a really cool guy came up with this brilliant way to eemmm... ‘recycle words’. It was an instant hit since those recycled words got depth and purpose. I suppose Austin could black out a newspaper article of stock market news and find profitable words (Bad one!). He also has a book titled ‘Newspaper Blackout’ to his name.

I knew nothing about all this whatsoever, until I sat down and googled it’s origin and I am honestly surprised to find this concept just as young as about five years. 


Black out poetry for me, is confining yet liberal. However you might want to redact it, whatever you create out of it, is all yours irrespective of the original assembly of words.
HOW TO BE A BLACK-OUT POET?

 
STEP ONE
Get a newspaper, a leaflet, a brochure, a book, anything in print.
STEP TWO
Basically, I would like to say, "Follow your heart." But yeah...
Find striking/appealing words you want to use in your poem.

STEP THREE
Surround your words with an idea and how you can construct them in their places (trickle down, bottom-up, left to right.)
STEP FOUR
Black out the unwanted words and images.

And there you have it, YOUR BLACK OUT POEM from a prose, open for interpretations.






 For my first bundle of Black-out poems, PLEASE have a look at MY BLACK OUT POEMS. They are my first try so your feedback is highly appreciated. :)